SHALES (LONGSTAFF HOUSE)
Built c1840 and got its name from Shale Flats which was the expanse of land on the Harefield estate opposite.
In 1851 the house was owned by Sir Charles Henry Coote, 9th Baronet, MP for Queens County. Following Sir Charles Coote's death in 1864, the property passed to his fourth son Admiral Robert Coote, CB, FRGS, JP.
Dr. Harold Browne, Lord Bishop of Winchester rented the property until 1897 when it was sold at auction. Briefly owned by Col. Bald before being bought by Col. and Mrs Perkins.
Between the years of 1910 and 1931 Shales was renamed Langstaff House and became 'a home for ladies'. In 1946 it was purchased by the Sisters of Redcote Convent and renamed St. Theresa's.
The building surviving as St. Theresa's today is what would have been an extension of the original building which was sold in 1984, demolished and warden controlled retirement flats built on the site.