The Lion Cup 2017
Bitterne Local History Society organise this competition to encourage people who have not had articles published before to write about their experiences or to research local history.Entry Form
- Entrants must not be a published author of a local history book or local history paper, although magazine articles and letters to newspapers are acceptable.
- Past participants in this competition are invited to submit a new entry.
- Entrants should be over 14 years old.
- Entries must be not less than 1,000 words.
- Entries can be about any historical aspect of the area of eastern Southampton e.g. memories, biographies, traders, businesses, transport, clubs.
- Entries must be factual, not fictional, and be the work of the entrant.
- Entries must be previously unpublished although quotations may be used if referenced and credited.
- Sources should be given where relevant.
- Photographs, drawings and maps can be used to enhance entries but the entrant must either hold the copyright for use or have permission to use them.
- Entries should be typed and sent, accompanied with a competed Entry Form, to the BLHS History Competition, 231 Peartree Ave, Southampton, SO19 7RD.
- Closing date for entries is Monday 31st July 2017.
- First prize will be £30 plus the honour of holding The Lion Cup until the closing date of the next competition i.e. 31st July 2018.
- The winner will be announced at the BLHS AGM at Bitterne United Reformed Church, Bitterne Precinct, at 7pm on Sat 9th Sept 2017, when the presentation will be made.
- The judge's decisions will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- BLHS will have the right to publish any of the entries, or parts thereof, either in their magazine or in other publications, with due acknowledgement, without seeking further permission. To facilitate this, an electronic copy of the article may be requested.