The Lion Cup 2020
Bitterne Local History Society organise this competition to encourage people to write about their experiences, or to research local history.Entry Form
- Entrants must not be a published author of a local history book or local history paper, although magazine articles and letters to newspapers are acceptable.
- Past participants in this competition are invited to submit a new entry.
- Entrants should be over 14 years old.
- Entries can be about any historical aspect of the area of eastern Southampton e.g. memories, biographies, traders, businesses, transport, or clubs. Entries must be previously unpublished and may be an essay, poem, or one or more photographs with accompanying text.
- Entries must be factual, not fictional, and be the work of the entrant.
- Entries must be previously unpublished although quotations may be used if referenced and credited.
- Sources should be given where relevant.
- Photographs, drawings and maps can be used to enhance entries but the entrant must either hold the copyright for use or have permission to use them.
- Entries should be typed and sent, accompanied with a competed Entry Form (available from our shop or online at www.bitterne.net), to the BLHS History Competition, 231 Peartree Ave, Southampton, SO19 7RD.
- Closing date for entries is 31st July 2020.
- First prize will be £30 voucher for use in our shop or for Society memebership plus the honour of holding The Lion Cup until the closing date of the next competition i.e. 31st July 2021.
- The winner will be announced at the BLHS AGM at Bitterne United Reformed Church, Bitterne Precinct, when the presentation will be made.
- The judge's decisions will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- BLHS will have the right to publish any of the entries, or parts thereof, either in their magazine or in other publications, with due acknowledgement, without seeking further permission.
- BLHS reserves the right to not award the prize or Cup if it considers that there is not an entry of a sufficiently high standard.