Heathfield – West End Road
Jonathan and George Garrett purchased land on the west side of West End Road, close to Bitterne Village and measured out a plot of about 5 acres, where they built Heathfield House. On completion of its construction in 1837, the Garrett brothers sold the house to the Rev. Charles Davy, who lived there with his wife, two daughters and several servants. Charles lived at the house until his death in 1855. His widow and family moved out and in 1857 Mrs Davy let the house to Robert Richardson, who moved in with his wife and two servants.
George Atherley, a banker, was in occupation in 1863 when the house was up for sale again and in 1865 the house was bought by General Henry Phipps Raymond. In 1897 the 89 year general died. Up until 1901 Mrs Raymond was still living there. Other later occupants of the house were Mrs Wells in 1911 followed by Wilfred Revers-Carnac.
In 1920 the house was owned by Henry and Mary Beazley and they were in occupation when a serious fire broke out in the stable block in 1931. When Mr Beazley died the house was converted into a private hotel.
In 1936 Captain Geoffrey Joseph Quinn owned the property when it was still a hotel and Mrs Beazley continued to live there.
In 1939 Miss Elizabeth Gwendoline Beale, SRN SCM, ran it as a Maternity Home / Nursing Home when it was known as St Jude’s Nursing Home. When Miss Beale left in 1958, it was taken over by Geoffrey Jackson and his wife Mary Jackson, SRN, MRCN RFN, an ex-QA nursing sister. The name was changed back to Heathfield House and it was run as a Nursing Home. It closed in 1980.
Despite being registered as a Grade 2 listed building, permission was given for the house to be demolished in 1982 and Home Point House was built in its place as a Retirement Home.
(Source Material: Heathfield House by Beryl Varilone, BLHS)