128 / 130 West End Road
Opened in 19th Century as a brewery. Brewing ceased before WWI and the brewery building was demolished in 1926.
The original pub was damaged badly by air raids in WWII, killing the then landlord William Sly.
Victor Sly (William’s son) was made landlord and continued using the same (patched up) building until 1952 when the present pub was built.
One of the earliest pubs to have its own matchboxes manufactured for advertising.
In 1902 one advert was for Whiskey at 14s/9p (73p) per GALLON!!
For many years a free house but associated with Courage’s Brewery since 1955.